Flatiron NoMad Foodie: L’Amico’s Mafaldine alla Vongole
The rustic-chic restaurant L’Amico located at 849 Sixth Avenue in NoMad shares their Mafaldine all Vongole recipe. Renowned Executive Chef Laurent Tourondel walks us through how to make this flavorful dish you’ll want to serve at your next gathering with friends and family, or on a cold night-in.
L’Amico features an American menu with Italian influences inspired by Chef Tourondel’s childhood in the European countryside. The restaurant’s open-concept kitchen showcases Tourondel’s spin on a variety of American favorites, from pizza fired in twin copper-clad, wood-burning ovens, fresh pastas, craft cocktails, and an extensive wine list.
Enjoy indoor and al fresco dining for weekday lunch from 11:30 am – 2:30 pm, dinner served daily from 5 – 10 pm, and weekend brunch from 11:30 am – 3 pm.
Mafaldine alla Vongole Recipe
- 1/2 a pound of Butter, softened
- 1 Shallot clove, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of Parsley, finely chopped
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
Mafaldine alla Vongole
- 3.75 ounces of Mafaldine
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 ounce of Calabrian Chili
- 7 Littleneck Clams, thoroughly washed
- 3 ounces of White Wine
- 1 teaspoon of Parsley, chopped
- 2 ounces of Garlic Butter
- Lemon Zest
Directions for Garlic Butter:
1. Place shallot, garlic, and parsley in a food processor.
2. Pulse on and off until all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Add the butter and then process until the color of the butter is bright green and all the aromatics are finely chopped.
4. Check for seasoning and adjust to taste.
Directions for Mafaldine alla Vongole:
1. Boil the mafaldine until al dente, about 2 1/2 – 3 minutes.
2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan.
3. Add the garlic and chili and sauté until lightly toasted and aromatic.
4. Add the oregano, cockles and the white wine and cover to steam open. When the clams are open, remove from the pot and simmer 2 minutes.
5. Add the mafaldine to the pan with the broth and toss to combine.
6. Add the butter, parsley and clams and briefly cook to warm through, shaking the pan to emulsify the butter.
7. Plate the pasta in the center of a pasta bowl and pour the broth on the pasta and around the clams.
8. Garnish with lemon zest and serve with a sliced lemon.