Position Title: Planning Associate
Reporting To: Vice President of Planning, Streetscape, and Capital Projects
About the Flatiron NoMad Partnership
The Flatiron NoMad Partnership has been the Business Improvement District (BID) for the Flatiron neighborhood in Manhattan for the past 16 years, and recently expanded its service area to fully include the exciting and evolving NoMad area. The Partnership provides supplemental services including sanitation, public safety, social services, streetscape/beautification, and marketing/public programming for the neighborhood’s visitors, workers, and residents. We manage the neighborhood’s unique public spaces, including the Flatiron Public Plazas, and hosts events and programs throughout the year that celebrate and promote Flatiron and NoMad’s dynamic businesses and experiences.
The Planning Associate reports directly to the Vice President of Planning, Streetscape & Capital Projects and will work on a diverse set of programs and initiatives related to the Partnership’s planning, public improvements, placemaking, sanitation, daily operations, and policy goals.
Planning & Public Space Management
- Prepare maps, graphics, and draft reports and presentations for internal and external groups including district stakeholders and the Partnership’s Board of Directors to advance project implementation
- Learn and eventually manage the permitting process for events on the Flatiron Public Plazas
- Conduct analysis of existing streetscape conditions and related City policies to identify opportunities for new projects to advance the Partnership’s streetscape and transportation planning goals
- Assist the Vice President in the management of Flatiron Plaza concessions, horticulture/landscaping, and capital streetscape projects
- Perform weekly district surveys of the Partnership’s public plazas, streetscape & privately-owned public spaces (POPS) to identify and report issues
- Assist with procurements including drafting RFPs, compiling and maintaining lists of vendors, reviewing proposal submissions, and documenting the selection process
- Host site visits and conduct field supervision of contractors
- Serve as organization lead on planning and implementing seasonal public art installations
- Support the President and Vice President with coordinating and executing Streetscape Committee meetings including creation of agendas and presentations as well as drafting meeting minutes
Data Collection & Stakeholder Engagement
- With the Partnership’s Research Manager, assist with public space data collection, analysis, and reporting
- Serve as a point-of-contact with the Partnership’s third-party data providers such as Springboard, Placer, and Exteros
- Assist with hiring and supervision of planning interns
- Respond to requests for information
- Attend select Community Board meetings and develop and maintain relationships with community stakeholders
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, urban studies, or related field
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Strong working knowledge of ArcGIS, Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator in particular), and Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel)
- Attendance at periodic early morning meetings and evening meetings/events will be required
- Outside field work will be required in addition to traditional office-based work
- Entry-level position
The Flatiron NoMad Partnership’s top priority is the health and safety of our employees. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all members of staff are required to be vaccinated as recommended. Potential hires must be able to provide proof of vaccination upon starting.
The Planning Associate position salary is commensurate with applicable skills and demonstrated experience. Competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, 403B and as well as generous paid time off.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume, as one PDF attachment, to the attention of Kurt Cavanaugh at kcavanaugh@FlatironNoMad.nyc with “Planning Associate” in the subject line.
For more information on the Flatiron NoMad Partnership, visit FlatironNoMad.nyc or @flatironny on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.